Resource Library

Free Online Legal Resources

My Employer Has Denied My Claim, What Do I Do?

Nearly all workers` compensation claims in Utah are settled to the satisfaction of the employee, employer and workers` compensation carrier. In a few cases, an employee is dissatisfied and decides to contest the decision of the workers` compensation insurance carrier. If the employee decides to do this, the employee can challenge the decision by applying for a hearing with the Adjudication Division of the Labor Commission.

Upon receiving your Application for Hearing and supporting documents, the Adjudication Division will send a copy of the application and documents to the employer`s insurance carrier or to the employer directly if the employer is either self­insured or uninsured. The carrier or employer has 30 days to answer your claim. The Adjudication Division will review the response to the claim and schedule a Pre­Hearing if there is an indication that the case could be solved quickly. If not, a full Evidentiary Hearing will be scheduled. Due to the Division`s heavy caseload, either hearing may not take place for as long as 4­5 months.

If you have been denied benefits, or have a claim pending with the Labor Commission and are interested in participating in a Claims Resolution Conference, which may speed up a settlement, you can contact the Labor Commission at the address or phone number below.

Mailing Address: P.O. Box 146610, Salt Lake City, UT, 84114­6610
Street Address: 160 East 300 South, 3rd Floor, Salt Lake City, UT 84111
801­530­6800 or toll free (800)530­5090

Speak to an Experienced Workers' Compensation Attorney Today

This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified workers' compensation lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact a local workers' compensation attorney to discuss your specific legal situation.

Additional Workers' Compensation Articles

Search LawInfo's Workers' Compensation Resources

Find an Attorney in Your Area

Related Workers' Compensation Issues