Resource Library

Free Online Legal Resources

If I Am Injured On The Job Can I Choose The Doctor Who Treats Me?

The insurance carrier or employer has the right to designate a preferred medical provider. You are required to first seek medical treatment from the preferred provider, if one exists.

You are entitled to make one change of doctors. However, you need to notify the insurance carrier or self­insured employer as soon as possible of the change.

A referral from your treating doctor to another doctor is not considered a change. Nor is a change from an emergency room doctor to a private doctor. Once doctor care has begun, emergency room visits are prohibited except in cases of: (1) doctor referral or (2) threat to life.

Speak to an Experienced Workers' Compensation Attorney Today

This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified workers' compensation lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact a local workers' compensation attorney to discuss your specific legal situation.

Your Next Step:

Enter your location below to get connected with a qualified Workers' Compensation attorney today.

Additional Workers' Compensation Articles

Search LawInfo's Workers' Compensation Resources

Related Workers' Compensation Issues