Resource Library

Free Online Legal Resources

My Employer Has Denied My Claim, What Do I Do?

If there is disagreement about the claim, either party may ask the Division of Labor and Management to conduct a mediation. The mediation is held by telephone with a division representative, the employee or their representative, and a representative of the employer or insurance carrier.

If a dispute remains unresolved after mediation or the employee chooses to forgo the mediation process, the employee may file a petition for hearing. The petition must be filed within two years of the date of denial of benefits. An administrative law judge in a formal, adversarial proceeding will hear the case. Representation by an attorney is not required in a worker`s compensation hearing, but is recommended. You can contact the Division of Labor and Management at the address or phone number below.

Division of Labor and Management
Kneip Building
700 Governors Drive
Pierre, SD 57501­2291
(605) 773­3681

Speak to an Experienced Workers' Compensation Attorney Today

This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified workers' compensation lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact a local workers' compensation attorney to discuss your specific legal situation.

Additional Workers' Compensation Articles

Search LawInfo's Workers' Compensation Resources

Find an Attorney in Your Area

Workers' Compensation Lawyers

Related Workers' Compensation Issues