Resource Library

Free Online Legal Resources

My Employer Has Denied My Claim, What Do I Do?

If you disagree with any decision of your employer or their carrier, you may file an application for hearing.

Certain types of contested cases are entitled to mediation:

  • If your claim concerns a definite period of time and you have returned to work.
  • If the claim is for medical benefits only.
  • If you are not represented by an attorney.
  • If the bureau determines that your claim may be settled by mediation.

If your claim is not resolved by mediation and the disputed amount is $2,000 or less, your case may be heard in the Small Claims Division. If the amount is more than $2,000, your case will be heard before a magistrate.

You are entitled to a hearing before an arbitrator if both you and your employer or carrier agree and request such hearing in writing.

For more information contact the Bureau of Workers` Disability Compensation at the address or number listed below.

Michigan Dept. of Consumer & Industry Services
Bureau of Workers` Disability Compensation
7150 Harris Drive
PO Box 30016
Lansing, Michigan 48909
Phone: (888) ­396-­5041

Speak to an Experienced Workers' Compensation Attorney Today

This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified workers' compensation lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact a local workers' compensation attorney to discuss your specific legal situation.

Additional Workers' Compensation Articles

Search LawInfo's Workers' Compensation Resources

Find an Attorney in Your Area

Workers' Compensation Lawyers

Related Workers' Compensation Issues