Resource Library

Free Online Legal Resources

My Employer Has Denied My Claim, What Do I Do?

If your employer refuses to pay your claim they will file a Notice of Controversy. A Notice of Controversy is often called a NOC. The Notice of Controversy should indicate why the employer is not agreeing to pay your claim. If your employer files a Notice of Controversy, your case will be sent to a Troubleshooter. The Troubleshooter will try to contact both you and your employer and try to resolve the disagreement. If you receive a Notice of Controversy, and you do not hear from a Troubleshooter within 2 weeks, you should call a regional office of the Workers` Compensation Board and ask to speak to a Troubleshooter. If the Troubleshooter cannot resolve the dispute, then your case will be sent to a Mediator. The Mediator will meet with you, your employer and the employer`s insurance company. The meeting will be held in an informal setting. The parties, with the mediator`s help, will attempt to come to an agreement. The Mediator will not take sides at the mediation. Any agreements you reach must be reached voluntarily. If you need assistance, you can contact the State of Main Workers` Compensation Board at the address and phone number below.

Claims Management Unit
27 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333­0027
(207) 287­2002

Speak to an Experienced Workers' Compensation Attorney Today

This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified workers' compensation lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact a local workers' compensation attorney to discuss your specific legal situation.

Your Next Step:

Enter your location below to get connected with a qualified Workers' Compensation attorney today.

Additional Workers' Compensation Articles

Search LawInfo's Workers' Compensation Resources

Workers' Compensation Lawyers

Related Workers' Compensation Issues