Resource Library

Free Online Legal Resources

Who (or What) can be a Personal Representative?

It depends on your state laws. However, the following are general guidelines. The personal representative:

•Could be an individual, bank, or trust company, subject to certain restrictions.
•Must be an individual who is either a resident of the state in which the probate proceedings is taking place, or is a spouse, sibling, parent, child, or certain other close relative.
•Could be a trust company incorporated under the laws of the state in which the probate proceeding is taking place, or a bank or savings and loan authorized and qualified to exercise fiduciary powers in that state.

Speak to an Experienced Probate and Estate Administration Attorney Today

This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified probate and estate administration lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact a local probate and estate administration attorney to discuss your specific legal situation.

Additional Probate and Estate Administration Articles

State Probate and Estate Administration Articles

Search LawInfo's Probate and Estate Administration Resources

Find an Attorney in Your Area

Related Probate and Estate Administration Issues