Resource Library

Free Online Legal Resources

How Do State Courts Determine How To Divide The Retirement?

In community property states and many of the other states, a cut and dried formula is used when the member has already retired. But for an active duty member, there may be no state law that specifies how the award is to be calculated.

Depending on who was to receive the larger award, there are at least twelve arguably fair methods of calculating the former spouse`s share. All would be acceptable under the FSPA!

Speak to an Experienced Military Divorce Attorney Today

This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified military divorce lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact a local military divorce attorney to discuss your specific legal situation.

Additional Military Divorce Articles

Search LawInfo's Military Divorce Resources

Find an Attorney in Your Area