Resource Library

Free Online Legal Resources

What Else Can I Do To Protect My Horse Studding Business?

As a breeder, you can protect yourself from non­paying customers by placing a lien on the offspring of any animal that you helped breed. In order to do so, you must register for a certificate of service within three (3) months of the service and include a description and location of the male rendering the service and the female receiving the service, the names of the owners, and the terms of the agreement. Once the certificate has been filed, a lien will be placed on the offspring for a period of six (6) months after the birth of the offspring. Then, if the owner of the female animal fails to pay for the service, you may protect yourself by exercising the lien and forcing a sale of the offspring to recover the money.

Speak to an Experienced Pet Law Attorney Today

This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified pet lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact a local pet attorney to discuss your specific legal situation.

Additional Pet Law Articles

Search LawInfo's Pet Law Resources

Find an Attorney in Your Area

Pet Law Attorneys