Resource Library

Free Online Legal Resources

Another Person Claims That A Missing Animal Is Theirs, But I Am Sure It Is Mine. Who Will Win?

If you and another person both claim ownership to a strayed animal, the sheriff will turn the matter over to the small claims division of the district court. Once in the district court, each party will have to prove that they are the rightful owner of the animal. First, the parties must file sworn affidavits with evidence supporting their claim. Second, if a hearing is needed, the judge may hear oral testimony from the parties to determine ownership. Finally, after weighing the evidence of both parties, the judge will decide who the rightful owner is. If the losing party still feels that the animal is theirs, and that the judgment was incorrect, then an appeal may be filed within ten (10) days.

Speak to an Experienced Pet Law Attorney Today

This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified pet lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact a local pet attorney to discuss your specific legal situation.

Additional Pet Law Articles

Search LawInfo's Pet Law Resources

Find an Attorney in Your Area

Pet Law Attorneys