Below, you will find a thumbnail procedure for obtaining a resident insurance license:
1) Contact Oregon Insurance Department and request the Oregon Licensing Information Bulletin;
2) complete prelicensing educational requirements;
3) utilize the appropriate study materials guided by the Oregon Insurance Outline that is part of the Information Bulletin;
4) mail your completed application, required materials, and fees to the Oregon Insurance Division;
5) upon receiving your approval to take the exam, you must schedule your own examination; you have six months to successfully complete the exam.
6) upon passing the exam, you receive your license within about ten days.
In addition: you must be contracted with an insurer, firm, or corporation in order to conduct any insurance transactions.
You must also have the insurance agency or corporation file a Notice of Affiliation (insurance agency) or a Notice of Appointment (insurance company) within thirty days.
The State of Oregon provides a more specific outline (Oregon Licensing Information Bulletin) with all the little details that you may need. The Bulletin and any other information can be obtained from the State of Oregon by calling or writing to:
Oregon Insurance Division
350 Winter NE, Room 440
Salem, OR 973013883
Answers to questions on the examination process can be obtained by contacting:
1360 Energy Park Drive
St. Paul, MN 551085252
TDD User: 800.790.3926
Speak to an Experienced Insurance Attorney Today
This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified insurance lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact a local insurance attorney to discuss your specific legal situation.