Resource Library

Free Online Legal Resources

Which Licenses Require An Exam?

Licenses requiring an exam
When applying for a license that requires an examination, submit Form 1114A and register for an exam at the same time by submitting the Registration Form.

Agent License:
The appointment section (Part H) of Form 1114A must be completed and signed by an authorized representative of your sponsoring insurer. Only one appointment should accompany your application.

Solicitor License:
The appointment section (Part H) of Form 1114A must be completed and signed by your sponsoring property and casualty agent, agency or broker. Only individuals may be licensed as solicitors.

Broker License:
Bond Form 1118D must be submitted with the application. Do not complete the appointment section (Part H) of Form 1114A. A broker applicant must have been a licensed property and casualty agent for at least two years or have professional experience as an employee of an insurance company, agency or brokerage firm for three years immediately preceding the date of application. Attach to Form 1114A an affidavit from your employer attesting to your qualifications. If you have questions about the experience requirements, contact the Department. Submit your application directly to Experior together with the proper fees and Exam Registration Form.

Bail Bond License:
In addition to Form 1114A, attach a fully completed fingerprint card and local criminal history from your police or sheriff's department.

Surplus Lines Broker License:
As a prerequisite, an applicant must have held a property and casualty license for at least two years or have two years of professional experience as an employee with a property and casualty insurer. An application in the name of a firm requires that all officers or partners placing business be licensed as surplus lines brokers and hold countersigning authority from a surplus lines insurer. When applying, submit Form 1114A together with a Surplus Broker Bond Form 1114G(4) and a Biographical Affidavit Form BIO (2). The application must be mailed to the Department via US Postal Service only. Once approved by the Department, the applicant is sent an exam authorization. Thereafter, the applicant must submit the exam registration form and the appropriate examination fee to Experior.

Licenses not requiring an exam
When applying for a license that doesn't require examination, submit Form 1114A with the appointment section completed by the authorized representative of the sponsoring insurer, along with the appropriate fees, to the Department. Fees for different licenses vary.

Remember: License fees are nonrefundable and nontransferable.

Speak to an Experienced Insurance Attorney Today

This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified insurance lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact a local insurance attorney to discuss your specific legal situation.

Additional Insurance Articles

Search LawInfo's Insurance Resources

Find an Attorney in Your Area

Featured Louisiana Insurance Law Firm

Captcha Image

Insurance Videos

What Is Indemnification

Insurance Lawyers

Related Insurance Issues