Resource Library

Free Online Legal Resources

What Are The Requirements If I Am A New Resident Of Illinois Previously Licensed In Another State?

If you are applying for an Illinois resident producer license and are licensed in another state, you may be exempt from certain Illinois examination and educational requirements.

From the date of application, if you have held an insurance license in good standing in your former state of residence during the prior 12 months you will be required to take Part 2 only (Laws) of the Illinois examination and are exempt from Illinois pre­licensing requirements for the lines of authority you held under your previous license.

A LETTER OF CLEARANCE from your former state of residence is required at the time you apply for a license in Illinois. This clearance letter must show the type of authority held in your previous state and be no older than 90 days.

If you have not held a license during the past 12 months you must take Parts 1 & 2 of the Illinois Insurance exam. You will also be required to successfully complete a pre­licensing course of study for each line of authority for which you wish to be licensed.

Speak to an Experienced Insurance Attorney Today

This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified insurance lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact a local insurance attorney to discuss your specific legal situation.

Additional Insurance Articles

Search LawInfo's Insurance Resources

Find an Attorney in Your Area

Insurance Videos

What Is Indemnification

Insurance Lawyers

Related Insurance Issues