Resource Library

Free Online Legal Resources

What If I Don't Know If My Kids Are Receiving Public Assistance? Should I Still Pay Support?

ORS/CSS will notify you when the custodial parent begins receiving state assistance. Remember, once you find out on your own or are notified by ORS/CSS that the custodial parent is receiving state assistance, do not pay the custodial parent child support directly. All child support payments must be paid to ORS/CSS so your case can be properly credited. If you have paid the custodial parent child support directly, you must provide ORS/CSS with proof of those payments (canceled checks, receipts, etc.) in order to receive credit. Also, you will not receive credit for other money you may have given the custodial parent or the children directly, or for things you have bought the children or the custodial parent in lieu of child support. For example, you will not receive credit for paying the rent (or for buying clothes, diapers, etc.) for the custodial parent instead of paying court ordered child support. These are considered gifts, not child support.

Speak to an Experienced Family Law Lawyer Today

Even the most common family law issue can be intensely stressful. A knowledgeable family lawyer can guide you through the process. An attorney will coach you on how to proceed and give expert guidance on hearings, trials and enforcing court orders. Take the first step now and talk to an experienced local family attorney.

Your Next Step:

Enter your location below to get connected with a qualified Family Law attorney today.

Additional Family Law Articles

Search LawInfo's Family Law Resources