Resource Library

Free Online Legal Resources

What If I Am Not Sure I Am The Child's Father?

If ORS/CSS is contacting you regarding a paternity (fatherhood establishment) proceeding, it is because we have received information from the custodial parent stating that you are or may be the father of the child. If you agree that you are, paternity can be established very quickly and easily, at no additional cost to you. If you disagree or are unsure that you are the father, the most important thing to remember is DO NOT IGNORE ORS/CSS CORRESPONDENCE! If you fail to answer the legal documents, fail to show up for hearings, etc., you may be deemed the father by a court or administrative order because you have failed to respond and thereby defaulted on your opportunity to make your objections known. If you truly do not think you are the father, ORS/CSS can arrange genetic paternity tests to determine whether you are the father. Again, it is extremely important that you cooperate with ORS/CSS when you are contacted regarding a paternity claim. You may hire a private attorney at any point in time, if you wish.

Speak to an Experienced Family Law Lawyer Today

Even the most common family law issue can be intensely stressful. A knowledgeable family lawyer can guide you through the process. An attorney will coach you on how to proceed and give expert guidance on hearings, trials and enforcing court orders. Take the first step now and talk to an experienced local family attorney.

Your Next Step:

Enter your location below to get connected with a qualified Family Law attorney today.

Additional Family Law Articles

Search LawInfo's Family Law Resources