Resource Library

Free Online Legal Resources

What If One Parent Does Not Live In South Dakota?

The most difficult cases to enforce are those in which the noncustodial parent lives in one state and the child and custodial parent live in another. If South Dakota does not have jurisdiction over the noncustodial parent, OCSE may request the other state to assist with establishing paternity and/or a support obligation as well as the enforcement of an order for support. OCSE must rely on the responding state`s laws, rules, regulations, policies and procedures. State child support agencies must cooperate and help each other in handling requests for assistance. In some cases a backlog of child support cases in the responding state may slow interstate enforcement. The other state may assess fees or may withhold fees from the support collected.

Speak to an Experienced Family Law Lawyer Today

Even the most common family law issue can be intensely stressful. A knowledgeable family lawyer can guide you through the process. An attorney will coach you on how to proceed and give expert guidance on hearings, trials and enforcing court orders. Take the first step now and talk to an experienced local family attorney.

Your Next Step:

Enter your location below to get connected with a qualified Family Law attorney today.

Additional Family Law Articles

Search LawInfo's Family Law Resources

Family Law Lawyers