Establishing paternity is an important first step in obtaining child support. In addition to providing the basis for obtaining support from the noncustodial parent, establishing paternity gives a child born to unmarried parents the legal rights and privileges of a child born within a marriage. Those rights and privileges may include:
- Support from both parents.
- Legal documentation of who his or her parents are.
- Access to family medical records. (Many diseases, illnesses, birth defects and other health problems are passed to children by their parents.)
- Medical and life insurance coverage from either parent, if available.
- Inheritance rights.
- Social Security and veterans` benefits, if available.
- Emotional benefits of knowing who both parents are.
Speak to an Experienced Paternity Attorney Today
Even the most common family law issue can be intensely stressful. A knowledgeable paternity lawyer can guide you through the process. An attorney will coach you on how to proceed and give expert guidance on hearings, trials and enforcing court orders. Take the first step now and talk to an experienced local paternity attorney.
Your Next Step:
Enter your location below to get connected with a qualified Paternity attorney today.
Popular Attorney Searches: