Resource Library

Free Online Legal Resources

If I am receiving public assistance, are there other things I must do?

If you are the custodial parent who is receiving public assistance, you must assign some or all of your child support to the state. Your county child support office will provide you with information about your specific situation.

If you receive child support directly from the noncustodial parent, you must report it to your county child support office If paternity needs to be established or the noncustodial parent needs to be located, you must cooperate with the child support office by providing correct information If you do not cooperate with the child support office`s action to establish paternity or child support, your public assistance benefits may be reduced unless you claim good cause. If the state makes a mistake and gives you more money than you are supposed to have, you must repay the state for the overpayment.

Speak to an Experienced Family Law Lawyer Today

Even the most common family law issue can be intensely stressful. A knowledgeable family lawyer can guide you through the process. An attorney will coach you on how to proceed and give expert guidance on hearings, trials and enforcing court orders. Take the first step now and talk to an experienced local family attorney.

Additional Family Law Articles

Search LawInfo's Family Law Resources

Find an Attorney in Your Area

Featured Minnesota Family LawFirm

Laurie Mack-Wagner, Esq.
Mack & Santana Law Offices, P. C.

Compassion, Strength, and Planning in Times of Personal Crisis

Captcha Image

Family Law Lawyers