Resource Library

Free Online Legal Resources

Can The State Terminate A Parent's Rights Over Their Children?

Yes.  Every state has an agency that protects the interests of children.  That agency may ask the court to terminate parental rights.  Usually, the state must show that the parent is unfit and that severing the relationship is in the best interests of the child.  To be found “unfit” the state usually must show that the child is in danger of suffering from some form of abuse, the parent is unable to care for the child (usually because of mental capacity or drug addiction) or the child has been abandoned by the parent.

Speak to an Experienced Family Law Lawyer Today

Even the most common family law issue can be intensely stressful. A knowledgeable family lawyer can guide you through the process. An attorney will coach you on how to proceed and give expert guidance on hearings, trials and enforcing court orders. Take the first step now and talk to an experienced local family attorney.

Your Next Step:

Enter your location below to get connected with a qualified Family Law attorney today.

Additional Family Law Articles

Search LawInfo's Family Law Resources

Dallas Family Law Lawyers