Resource Library

Free Online Legal Resources

Can I Reduce What I Pay To A Union Under An Existing Contract?

Yes. In CWA v. Beck, 487 U.S. 735 (1988), the U.S. Supreme Court found that the National Labor Relations Act does not permit a union, over the objection of an employee paying agency fees, to spend funds collected pursuant to a union security clause on activities unrelated to collective bargaining, contract administration or grievance adjustment. Therefore, you have the right to object to the local and national union and receive a refund of funds collected for non­representational activities. You must be given an opportunity to challenge the union's computation of your refund. The union may provide for neutral arbitration to resolve your challenge, and you have the right to file a charge with the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) in the event of a dispute. Under some circumstances, you also have the right to proceed in Federal District Court, just like Harry Beck did. The union is obligated to notify employees paying agency fees, at least annually, of the percentage of funds spent in the last accounting year for non­representational activities. Upon request, the union must also provide detailed information concerning the breakdown between representational and non­representational expenditures.

Get Help from an Experienced Employment Law Attorney

Have you been discriminated against by a potential or current employer -- as a job applicant or current employee? To best protect your legal rights you should discuss your situation with an employment lawyer. Meet with a local employment attorney sooner rather than later to protect your rights.

Your Next Step:

Enter your location below to get connected with a qualified Employment Law attorney today.

Additional Employment Law Articles

Search LawInfo's Employment Law Resources

Employment Law Lawyers

Related Employment Issues