Resource Library

Free Online Legal Resources

How Do I File An Initial Claim For Unemployment Benefits?

You should always file as soon as possible after you become unemployed. When you file the claim, be sure to have available your Social Security number and the complete name and address of each employer that you worked for in the past 18 months.

You may file your new unemployment claim, or reopen an existing claim, via the Internet if you meet all the following requirements:

  • You are a New Jersey resident;
  • All of your employment in the past 18 months was in New Jersey;
  • You did not work for the Federal Government in the past 18 months;
  • You were not in the military service in the past 18 months.

If you meet these requirements, and you wish to file your unemployment claim via the Internet, visit the website

If you do not wish to file your claim via the Internet, you may file by telephoning your Reemployment Call Center.

Union City(Serves Northeast New Jersey)(201) 601­4100
Freehold(Serves Northwest and Central New Jersey)(732) 761­2020
Cumberland(Serves South Jersey)(856) 507­2340

Get Help from an Experienced Employment Law Attorney

Have you been discriminated against by a potential or current employer -- as a job applicant or current employee? To best protect your legal rights you should discuss your situation with an employment lawyer. Meet with a local employment attorney sooner rather than later to protect your rights.

Your Next Step:

Enter your location below to get connected with a qualified Employment Law attorney today.

Additional Employment Law Articles

Search LawInfo's Employment Law Resources

Employment Law Lawyers

Related Employment Issues