Resource Library

Free Online Legal Resources

What Can I Do If I Am Denied Benefits?

You may appeal a Notice of Claim Determination within 15 days of the mailing date of the document. By doing so, you are requesting a hearing before an Administrative Law Judge. The appeal may be filed by visiting the Job Center nearest your residence within 15 days of the mailing date of the form. You may also file the appeal by mail. Simply address your request to the office or unit listed on the determination, indicating that you wish to appeal.

When an appeal is filed, it is sent to the Appeals Section where an Administrative Law Judge reviews it and then schedules it for a hearing. A hearing notice will be mailed to the parties. Most hearings are conducted at the office where the claim was filed or at some other hearing location that is within 50 miles of both parties. If both parties are not within 50 miles of a common hearing location, the hearing would be conducted by telephone.

If you appeal as a claimant, you should continue to file weekly claims until a final decision is rendered or until you return to work.

Get Help from an Experienced Employment Law Attorney

Have you been discriminated against by a potential or current employer -- as a job applicant or current employee? To best protect your legal rights you should discuss your situation with an employment lawyer. Meet with a local employment attorney sooner rather than later to protect your rights.

Your Next Step:

Enter your location below to get connected with a qualified Employment Law attorney today.

Additional Employment Law Articles

Search LawInfo's Employment Law Resources

Related Employment Issues