Resource Library

Free Online Legal Resources

How Do I Know If I Am Liable For Unemployment Taxes?

You must report wages and pay taxes to the Unemployment Tax program if you:

  • paid $1,500 in wages within a calendar quarter,
  • have employed one person for any portion of a day in 20 different weeks during the calendar year, or
  • are liable for federal unemployment tax (FUTA) because of employment in another state.

If you have domestic employees in your home, you are liable if you paid $1,000 in cash wages to domestic employees within a calendar quarter.

You may refer to the Unemployment Compensation Employer Handbook for additional information.

Get Help from an Experienced Employment Law Attorney

Have you been discriminated against by a potential or current employer -- as a job applicant or current employee? To best protect your legal rights you should discuss your situation with an employment lawyer. Meet with a local employment attorney sooner rather than later to protect your rights.

Additional Employment Law Articles

Search LawInfo's Employment Law Resources

Find an Attorney in Your Area

Employment Law Lawyers

Related Employment Issues