Resource Library

Free Online Legal Resources

Can I Appeal A Denial Of Unemployment Benefits?

You have the right to file an appeal if you do not agree with all or part of the decision. An employer or claimant who disagrees with a Notice of Determination, or Notice of Modification and wants to file an appeal must complete an Employment Development Department Appeal Form, DE 1000M or send a letter to EDD at the address shown on the notice. The letter must contain:

Claimants must include their name, address, and telephone number; social security number, and the reason for the appeal. For employers, the letter must contain the company's name, address, telephone number, and reserve account number; the former employee's name, and social security account number; and the reason for the appeal.

The decision will be reviewed and if it is correct (according to state law and regulation), the appellant is sent a notice that the appeal has been sent to the Office of Appeals. The Office of Appeals schedules the hearing, sends information about the hearing, and advises the employer and claimant where and when to appear for the hearing.

The hearing notice contains important information about the appeals process. An Administrative Law Judge hears the appeal and testimony is taken under oath. After the hearing, the Administrative Law Judge mails a decision to all parties.

Get Help from an Experienced Employment Law Attorney

Have you been discriminated against by a potential or current employer -- as a job applicant or current employee? To best protect your legal rights you should discuss your situation with an employment lawyer. Meet with a local employment attorney sooner rather than later to protect your rights.

Your Next Step:

Enter your location below to get connected with a qualified Employment Law attorney today.

Additional Employment Law Articles

Search LawInfo's Employment Law Resources

Featured California Employment LawFirm

Bohm Law Group

Committed to the Pursuit of Justice.
We Care About Your Future

Captcha Image

Related Employment Issues