Resource Library

Free Online Legal Resources

How Does The Alaska Child Support Agency Go About Enforcing Support Orders?

The Alaska Child Support Agency collects support as ordered by the court in divorce and other child custody cases. The agency also collects child support under administrative orders issued by the Child Support Enforcement Division. To collect support payments, the agency issues orders to withhold and deliver income or other property. Any of a noncustodial parent`s property, including wages, commissions, retirement checks, bank accounts, Alaska Permanent Fund dividends, stock dividends, and income producing property such as rentals can be subject to withholding, though typically the orders are lodged against wages. Under a wage­withholding order, an employer is ordered to automatically withhold a noncustodial parent`s wages, sending the funds to the child support enforcement division, who will forward it to the custodial parent. Other collection methods can include voluntary payments by the noncustodial parent, seizure of IRS tax refunds, liens against a parent`s property, and revocation of state occupational and drivers licenses. If these measures fail, then the child support enforcement division can seek assistance from the state attorney general`s office to take the matter to court.

Speak to an Experienced Child Support Attorney Today

This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified child support lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact a local child support attorney to discuss your specific legal situation.

Additional Child Support Articles

Search LawInfo's Child Support Resources

Find an Attorney in Your Area

Featured Alaska Child Support Law Firm

Law Office of Curtis W. Patteson, LLC

Family Law Attorney Who is Committed to Providing Creative Solutions, Responsive Service and Cost-Effective Legal Representation
Serving Keani, Fairbanks, Matanuska Valley and Anchorage

Related Child Support Issues