The law covers both new and used cars, including demos, which satisfy the following four conditions:
- The car was covered by the manufacturer`s new car warranty at the time of original delivery; and
- The car was purchased, leased or transferred within the earlier of the first 18,000 miles or two years from the date of original delivery; and
- The car either: (a) was purchased, leased or transferred in New York, or (b) is presently registered in New York; and
- The car is primarily used for personal purposes. Some examples of cars that are covered by the new car lemon law are:
- a new car purchased or leased from a New Jersey dealer and registered in New York;
- a yearold, demonstrator car with less than 18,000 miles purchased from a New York dealer and registered in New Jersey;
- a used car with less than 18,000 miles and less than 2years old, purchased from a Connecticut dealer and registered in New York;
- a used car with less than 18,000 miles and less than 2years old, received as a gift from a friend and registered in New York.
The following table summarizes what is covered, how many times the vehicle has to be repaired for the same defect and the warranty period.
|Vehicles Covered||Repair Interval and Coverage Period|
|Any noncommercial motor vehicle purchased or leased, except for motorcycles, certain motor homes, and offroad vehicles.||4 repair attempts or 30 calendar days out of service.|
|2 years or 18,000 miles.|
|Note:||Generally, the term Repair Attempts, as it relates to Lemon Law, refers to one or more attempts to fix the same defect although some states consider a vehicle to be a lemon if it required the specified number of repairs within the coverage period.|
A car is out of service while being repaired or waiting for parts.
Warranty Period refers to the Manufacturer`s Express Warranty. Where the Coverage Period lists more than 1 option, the period applies to that option which occurs first.
This is only a summary, to get the complete Lemon Law Statute select your state from the combo box menu on the right side of this page, and click Get Statute.
Speak to an Experienced Lemon Law Attorney Today
This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified lemon lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact a local lemon attorney to discuss your specific legal situation.
Your Next Step:
Enter your location below to get connected with a qualified Lemon Law attorney today.
Popular Attorney Searches: