If I Am Injured On The Job Can I Choose The Doctor Who Treats Me?

You may choose a primary physician or chiropractor to treat your work­related injury, but you may not change doctors without prior written approval from the Division or a referral from your primary physician/chiropractor. To obtain a Request For Change Of Health Care Provider forms, contact your claims analyst or any Division office. When completing the form, you must explain why you want to change doctors. When approved by the Division, both the prior and new physician/chiropractor will be notified, in writing, of the change. You may not continue to treat with a prior physician/chiropractor after the Division has approved your request to change providers. Also, Failure to attend any medical examination scheduled by the Division could result in a suspension of your benefits.

The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.

Additional Workers' Compensation Articles

Search LawInfo's Workers' Compensation Resources