My Employer Has Denied My Claim, What Do I Do?

If you believe a decision is wrong, it may help to talk to your claim manager. If you still are dissatisfied, you should send a written protest to the Department of Labor and Industries within 60 days of receiving Labor and Industries decision.

Explain in detail why you think the decision is unfair, supply any additional information you may have, and tell us what you think would be fair.

Your claim will be reviewed, and you will receive a written decision in response to your letter. If you disagree with this decision, you may appeal in writing to the Board of Industrial Insurance Appeals in Olympia. You must send your letter to the Board within 60 days after receiving Labor and Industries decision.

The Board of Industrial Insurance Appeals is separate from the Department of Labor and Industries. The board conducts hearings on claims issues that cannot otherwise be settled to the satisfaction of you, your employer or the department.

The board issues a written decision about your case after personal arguments and testimony have been taken. This decision may be appealed to a Washington State Superior Court.

You can contact the board by writing to:

Board of Industrial Insurance Appeals

2430 Chandler Ct. SW

PO Box 42401

Olympia, WA 98504­.

Or call (360) 753­-6823, (­800) ­442-­0447 (in-­state toll-­free line). For detailed information, ask them for their pamphlet Your Right to be Heard.

You can also contact the Office of Information and Assistance toll­-free at ­(800) ­LISTENS or (800) ­547-­8367.

The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.

Additional Workers' Compensation Articles

Search LawInfo's Workers' Compensation Resources

Lead Counsel Rated Law Firm

Click Here to Learn More