My Employer Has Denied My Claim, What Do I Do?

If a claim is denied, it is often because of a lack of information. BWC has 28 days to issue a decision. If the information received at that time is not sufficient to allow the claim, then the claim will be disallowed. The specific reason for the disallowance should be documented on the BWC order. If you need assistance understanding the order you may contact BWC at the address or number listed below.

Once you receive the BWC order, you have fourteen days to file an appeal if you disagree with the decision. The appeal must be in writing and should include your name, the name of your employer, your claim number, the order date, and the reason you are appealing the decision. Form IC­12, Notice of Appeal, is available from any BWC Service Office. Once an appeal is received the claim will be referred to the Ohio Industrial Commission for a hearing to be scheduled. You will be notified of the hearing date and time.

Bureau of Workers` Compensation
30 W. Spring St.
Columbus, OH, 43215­
(800) ­644-­6292

The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.

Additional Workers' Compensation Articles

Search LawInfo's Workers' Compensation Resources

Lead Counsel Rated Law Firm

Click Here to Learn More