My Employer Has Denied My Claim, What Do I Do?

When liability for payment of compensation is denied, the Commission, claimant, his or her attorney, if any, and all known providers of health care shall be promptly notified of the reason for such denial. The denial Form 61 shall not be worded in general terms, but must detail the exact reason for the denial of liability.

If a claim is denied by the insurance company or self­insurer, the employee may request a hearing before the Industrial Commission by submitting Form 33 ­ Request for Hearing.

The N.C. Industrial Commission has created an Ombudsman Section to assist claimants who are not represented by an attorney*, employers, and other parties in protecting their rights. In addition, the Ombudman Section serves as the information source for the Industrial Commission, and answers questions pertaining to all aspects of workers` compensation.

If you need help with a claim, have a workers` compensation question, or want to know your rights as an employee, please direct your questions to the Ombudsman Section of the N.C. Industrial Commission. They can be contacted at the numbers listed below.

Ombudsman Section of the N.C. Industrial Commission
(800) 688­8349 or call (919) 733­0345

The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.

Additional Workers' Compensation Articles

Search LawInfo's Workers' Compensation Resources

Lead Counsel Rated Law Firm

Click Here to Learn More