My Employer Has Denied My Claim, What Do I Do?

If you disagree with their determination, you have a right to file a claim with the Division of Workers` Compensation. This can be done by either filing an application for an informal hearing or by filing a formal claim petition. A claim for workers` compensation must be filed within two years of the date of accident, within two years of the failure of the employee to receive payment in accordance with an agreement between the employer and the employee, or within two years of the last payment of compensation. This time limit is jurisdictional and cannot be extended by reason of excuse or ignorance. Medical treatment may be construed as the payment of compensation to extend the time period, but the treatment must not be isolated and must, in fact, be authorized. Payment of collateral benefits under an automobile policy would not extend the time to file the claim. For assistance in doing this, contact the NJ Department of Labor, Division of Workers` Compensation at the address or number listed below.

NJ Department of Labor, Division of Workers` Compensation
P.O. Box 381
Trenton, New Jersey 08625­0381
(609) 292­2515

The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.

Additional Workers' Compensation Articles

Search LawInfo's Workers' Compensation Resources

Lead Counsel Rated Law Firm

Click Here to Learn More