My Employer Has Denied My Claim, What Do I Do?
- The first proceeding scheduled on a contested claim is an informal conciliation, which is held within a few weeks of the claim being received by the DIA. At conciliation an attempt is made to settle the issues in dispute. If an agreement is not reached, the claim is referred to a conference before an Administrative Judge.
- The Industrial Accident Board is made up of the DIA`s Administrative Judges, who rule on disputed workers` compensation claims. The conference is the first proceeding before a judge. The insurer and the employee must be present at the conference. Following the conference, the Judge will issue an order of payment or denial. Either side may appeal this within 14 days. If the case is appealed it will proceed to the hearing stage.
- At a full hearing the same Administrative Judge who presided at the conference considers all the evidence. Rules of evidence now apply, and witnesses can be subpoenaed. After reviewing all the information available, the Judge will then issue a written decision. If either party to the case believes the Judge made an error of fact, or exceeded his/her authority with the ruling, the party has 30 days from the filing date of the decision to file an appeal to the Reviewing Board.
For more information regarding denied or suspended claims you can contact the Department of Industrial Accidents at one of the following numbers.
Boston: (617) 7274900;
Lawrence: (978) 6836420;
Fall River: (508) 6763406;
Worcester: (508) 7532072;
Springfield: (413) 7841133
Speak to an Experienced Workers' Compensation Attorney Today
This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified workers' compensation lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact a local workers' compensation attorney to discuss your specific legal situation.
Additional Workers' Compensation Articles
- How Long After An Injury Do I Have To Report It To My Employer?
- How Do I Know If My Employer Is Covered By Workers' Compensation?
- What Workers' Compensation Benefits Am I Entitled To?
- If I Am Injured On The Job Can I Choose The Doctor Who Treats Me?
- When Will My Benefits Begin And How Much Will They Be?
- If I Am Unable To Return To The Type Of Work I Did Before I Was Injured, What Happens?