How Long After An Injury Do I Have To Report It To My Employer?

Report your injury immediately to your employer and get proper medical attention. Any delay in reporting workplace injuries can result in denial of your claim. Many injured workers are initially denied benefits because they did not report their injuries immediately.

If you are injured on the job or are diagnosed as having a work­related disease, you should file a written notice of claim for workers` compensation as soon as possible. The Workers` Compensation Commission provides an official form for workers` compensation claims, called a 30C Form. This form is also available from any Workers` Compensation Commission District Office or from the Commission`s Education Services.

A 30C Claim Form should be filed promptly after a work­related injury takes place. There is a statute of limitation for filing workers` compensation claims: within 1 year of the date of an injury or within 3 years of the first appearance of a symptom of an occupational disease.

All written notices of claim for workers` compensation benefits must be filed with both your employer and with the Workers` Compensation Commission District Office, which has jurisdiction over the city, or town in which you were injured or became ill, not where you live.

The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.

Additional Workers' Compensation Articles

Search LawInfo's Workers' Compensation Resources

Lead Counsel Rated Law Firm

Click Here to Learn More