How Does Deploying For Active Duty Or Be Ordered To Relocate Affect My Domicile (Legal Residence)?
The SCRA continues the protection the SSCRA granted for domicile and residence. A member can maintain the domicile or legal residence in the state the member resided before entering active duty. A member does not lose the domicile (legal residence) in a state when absence from that state is due to military orders. Members, however, can change his or her domicile if the member meets the conditions for changing legal residence. Legal residence (domicile) should not be confused with residence. A person can have as many residences as they can afford, but can have only one legal residence (domicile). The domicile is considered to be the state entered in the member’s pay records. The domicile is a state where the member resided at some point in time and while residing there formed the intent to return to this state after his or her military service ends and remain there indefinitely.
Speak to an Experienced Veteran's Benefits Attorney Today
This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified veteran's benefits lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact a local veteran's benefits attorney to discuss your specific legal situation.
Additional Veteran's Benefits Articles
- What types of V.A. benefits are available besides medical coverage?
- What Is Veterans' Law?
- What Is The Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (Scra)?
- What Types of V.A. Benefits Are Available In Terms of Medical Treatment For Veterans?
- Who Is Eligible For Benefits And Services Under The Laws Of The Department Of Veterans Affairs?
- Am I Entitled To Legal Protections Under The Scra?
- What Type of Life Insurance Is Available To Veterans?
- I Was Injured While Serving In The Military – Am I Eligible For Any Benefits?
- What Kind Of Legal Protections Am I Entitled To If I Qualify For The Protections Of The Scra?
- I Lied To The Department Of Veterans Affairs So That I Could Receive Benefits. What Can Happen To Me?
- How Does A Servicemember Or Dependent Request Relief Under The Scra?
- I Have Been Charged With A Crime. Can That Affect My Receipt Of Benefits?
- During What Time Period Do The Protections Of The Scra Apply?
- If I Have Forfeited My Rights To Benefits Under The Laws Of The Department Of Veterans Affairs, What Affect Does That Have On My Family Receiving Benefits?
- Do The Protections Of The Scra Automatically Take Effect, Or Must I Take Action To Invoke Scra Protections?
- My Husband Was Killed While Serving In The Armed Forces, Do I Have A Right To Compensation From The Department Of Veterans Affairs?
- Can Protection Of The Scra Be Waived?
- What Is The Veterans Benefits Administration?
- What Protections Does The Scra Provide To Servicemembers In Court And Administrative Proceedings?
- What Is The Veterans Health Administration?
- Does The Scra Offer Any Other Protections In Court Proceedings?
- I Served In The Military Am I Eligible For A Pension?
- Will Creditors Refuse To Lend Me Money Because, As A Member Of The National Guard Or Military Reserve, I Qualify For Indebtedness Protection Under The Scra?
- What Are Aid And Attendance And Housebound Benefits?
- How Does The Scra Protect Servicemembers From Lenders?
- How Much Will I Receive If I Am Eligible For A Department Of Veterans Affairs Pension?
- What Protections Does Scra Provide Servicemembers Who Have Automobile Leases?
- Can I Receive Pension Payments From The Department Of Veterans Affairs If I Am Also Receiving Compensation Payments From The Department For An Injury?
- What Protections Does Scra Provide Servicemembers Who Have Real Estate Leases?
- If My Deceased Husband/Wife Was A Veteran Am I Entitled To A Pension?
- What Protection Does The Scra Offer Servicemembers From Evictions?
- I Have Been Injured During Military Service, And Cannot Get A Job Because Of My Disability. What Services Can The Department Of Veterans Affairs Provide Me?
- How Do Scra Protections Affect Foreclosures And Repossessions?
- Will The Department Of Veterans Affairs Cover The Costs Of My Education?
- How Do Scra Protections Affect Insurance?
- What Should I Do If My Claim For Benefits Or Services Has Been Denied?
- On What Grounds Can The Denial Of My Claim For Benefits Or Services Be Overturned?
- What Kind Of Tax Protection Does The Scra Provide?
- I Am A Veteran And I Am Homeless. Can The Department Of Veterans Affairs Help Me?
- As A Veteran, Am I Eligible For Home And Business Loans Administered By The Department Of Veterans Affairs?
- How Much Can I Borrow If I Am Eligible For A Home Loan Through The Department Of Veterans Affairs?
- My Spouse Who Was A Veteran Has Died. Will The Department Of Veterans Affairs Help Me Cover The Cost Of The Funeral And Burial?
- What Are The Requirements For Filing A Successful Claim For Benefits?
- Can I Hire An Attorney To Help Me Prepare A Claim Or Argue The Denial Of A Claim In Front Of The Secretary Of The Department Of Veterans Affairs?
- I Was Injured As A Result Of My Military Services, And Now I Cannot Obtain Life Insurance To Protect My Family. Can The Department Of Veterans Affairs Help Me?