Does The Scra Offer Any Other Protections In Court Proceedings?

Yes.  A member may request the court to re­open a matter and set­aside a default judgment (meaning a judgment that was entered against a member, because they could not appear at a hearing or respond to a lawsuit) if the judgment was entered against the member during the member’s active duty period, or within 60 days after the member’s release from active military duty.  The member must timely request such relief (i.e., within 90 days from release from active duty), show the active service materially affected the member’s ability to defend against the action, and show that he or she has a good defense.

The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.

Additional Veteran's Benefits Articles

Search LawInfo's Veteran's Benefits Resources