Can I Hire An Attorney To Help Me Prepare A Claim Or Argue The Denial Of A Claim In Front Of The Secretary Of The Department Of Veterans Affairs?

Yes – but the attorney needs special qualifications in order to be allowed to appear on your behalf.  No individual can act as an attorney or as an agent in preparing, arguing or advocating for an applicant regarding a claim that is governed by the laws of the Department of Veterans Affairs, unless they are certified to do so by the Secretary of the Department.  To be certified to advocate for a veteran in issues under the administration of the Department an individual must be a member of the bar of the highest court in their state, and must submit a written declaration to the Secretary outlining their qualifications to appear before the Secretary in such matters.

The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.

Additional Veteran's Benefits Articles

Search LawInfo's Veteran's Benefits Resources