What are the benefits of a federal trademark registration?
Federal trademark registration has several benefits, including:
- Constructive notice nationwide of the trademark owner's claim.
- Evidence of ownership of the trademark.
- Jurisdiction of federal courts may be invoked.
- Registration can be used as a basis for obtaining registration in foreign countries.
- Registration may be filed with U.S. Customs Service to prevent importation of infringing foreign goods.
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Trademark Articles
- What Must An Application Include
- The Trademark Process
- Should I hire a Trademark Attorney?
- What Is A Certification Mark?
- What Is A Collective Mark?
- How Are Trademarks Acquired?
- What is a service mark?
- What is the difference between TM and the R within the circle ®?
- How do I obtain a copy of a trademark?
- How long does a trademark registration last?
- How long does it take to register a trademark?