Why should I plan my estate in 2012?
The gifting that can be completed tax-free in 2012 is significant. If one has a large estate it may benefit them to take advantage of the current large gift tax exemption, which will expire in 2013.
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Estate Tax Articles
- What is the death tax and how does it affect estate planning?
- What is the estate tax exemption and how is it calculated?
- What is gift tax and how does it apply to making lifetime gifts?
- Why is there a key difference between estate tax in 2012 and 2013?
- Are Non-Resident and Resident Aliens treated the same as US residents for the purposes of transfer taxes?
- Do I need an attorney to help with my estate planning?