What information is my physician allowed to divulge if I bring forth a personal injury claim in Washington?
Washington recognizes the physician-patient privilege, which protects information obtained by a physician necessary for treating the patient. However, in a personal injury or wrongful death matter this privilege is automatically waived after 90 days of filing an action. Waiver of such a privilege to one physician constitutes a waiver to all physicians. In Washington the waiver is limited only to medical information obtained regarding the litigation matter, but does consist of both medical facts and physician opinion. Although the privilege is automatically waived after 90 days of filing an action, a defense attorney may not have ex-parte communications with petitioner’s physician. Ex Parte communications are communications with a represented party outside the presence of their attorney, which as stated is not permitted. Defense counsel must resort to discovery in order to obtain information from a patient's physician.
HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act), and Washington’s state law HCIADA (Health Care Information Access and Disclosure Act) are separate from the physician-patient privilege and any waiver thereof.
Speak with a Personal Injury Attorney
Injuries cost money, including time away from work, medical bills and other complications. You should have an attorney help you with your claim. Not sure if you have a good injury case? Speak to a local personal injury attorney about the merits of your case. This one step can help you protect your rights and take the proper next steps.
Additional Personal Injury Articles
- Washington Personal Injury Law
- Washington Personal Injury Laws
- Who can be held responsible when a person is injured in Washington?
- How do I decide if I need to hire an attorney in Washington?
- How much will a personal injury attorney cost in Washington?
- How Long Do I Have To Hire An Attorney?
- What to expect in a personal injury trial in Washington.
- What is my personal injury claim worth in Washington?
- What is the statute of limitations for a personal injury case in Washington?
- What is a personal injury case worth in Washington?
- Under Washington law, can I include medical bills in my injury claim?
- How do I choose a personal injury lawyer in Washington?
- Can I bring a claim for personal injury on behalf of my minor child in Washington?