How do I decide if I need to hire an attorney in Washington?
An attorney may or may not be necessary depending on the amount of injury that occurred and the complexity of the claim. Small claims court in Washington allows to claims of up to $5,000. If your injury is a minor one that will not result in any incapacity, or substantial medical care, then you may be considering settling it yourself in small claims court.
An attorney should be consulted if you have been seriously injured or are unsure as to the outcome of your injury. These cases can often become complicated. In such cases, an attorney will have the legal expertise, time and resources to effectively handle your claim. An experienced personal injury attorney will be able to accurately analyze the value of your case and will be able to meet all of the rules, requirements and deadlines that have to be met. You will most likely have to deal with a professional insurance adjuster from an insurance company. The sole job of the adjuster is to try to settle the claim for as little as possible. Without knowledge of the complex insurance laws and policy provisions, a person could easily give away valuable rights and lose reasonable compensation. Also of note is the fact that statistics show insurance companies pay more than twice as much compensation when an attorney is involved in your claim.
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Personal Injury Articles
- I was injured in Washington. Can I file a lawsuit against the party that caused my injury?
- Who can be held responsible when a person is injured in Washington?
- How much will a personal injury attorney cost in Washington?
- How Long Do I Have To Hire An Attorney?
- What to expect in a personal injury trial in Washington.
- What is my personal injury claim worth in Washington?
- What is the statute of limitations for a personal injury case in Washington?
- What is a personal injury case worth in Washington?
- Under Washington law, can I include medical bills in my injury claim?
- How do I choose a personal injury lawyer in Washington?
- Can I bring a claim for personal injury on behalf of my minor child in Washington?
- What information is my physician allowed to divulge if I bring forth a personal injury claim in Washington?