What legal remedies are available to individuals and businesses affected by the Gulf Oil Spill?
Under the Oil Pollution Act, companies responsible for an oil spill are liable for damages to individuals and businesses affected as a result. Commercial fishermen, hotel and tourism industry businesses, property owners and others may be entitled to damages related to the disaster, including:
- real property damages;
- personal property damages;
- loss of profits and earning capacity;
- loss of commercial and subsistence use of natural resources;
- increased costs of public services;
- and loss of revenues.
If your business has suffered due to the Gulf Oil Spill, or your property has been affected, contact a LawInfo Gulf Oil Spill attorney for more information about what damages you may be entitled to under the law.
Speak with a Gulf Oil Spill Attorney
Injuries cost money, including time away from work, medical bills and other complications. You should have an attorney help you with your claim. Not sure if you have a good injury case? Speak to a local gulf oil spill attorney about the merits of your case. This one step can help you protect your rights and take the proper next steps.
Additional Gulf Oil Spill Articles
- The Potential Plaintiffs of the Gulf Oil Spill Lawsuits
- The Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund
- The Legal Differences Between the Exxon Valdez and the BP Oil Spills
- How Much Will BP Have to Pay? Damage Caps for Big Oil
- Environmental Laws and Oil Spills
- What is the Oil Pollution Act of 1990?
- Is compensation available to tourism businesses and workers for lost income or profits as a result of the Gulf oil spill?
- I own or lease property damaged by an oil spill. Am I entitled to compensation for the damages?
- My boat was damaged by the Gulf Oil Spill. Am I entitled to damages?
- What is needed to file a claim for damages resulting from the Gulf Oil Spill with the National Pollution Funds Center?
- What is the Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund (OSLTF)?
- Does the law limit the amount of money an oil company is liable for after an oil spill?
- If an oil company negligently caused an oil spill, then does the $75 million liability cap apply?
- If I submit a federal claim for Gulf oil spill damages, does that mean I can't join a private or class action lawsuit?