What is needed to file a claim for damages resulting from the Gulf Oil Spill with the National Pollution Funds Center?
To submit a claim for compensation with the NPFC for damages from the Gulf Oil Spill, the Oil Pollution Act requires you to submit the following:
1. Proof that the oil spill meets all OPA requirements. (The Oil Pollution Act only applies to oil spills in “navigable waters” which occurred after August 18, 1990. In addition, it is a pre-requisite under the law that claimants submit their claim to the responsible party for the incident. In the Gulf Oil Spill situation, the oil spill obviously occurred after 1990, it involved an oil spill in the "navigable waters" of the Gulf of Mexico, and BP America has been identified as at least one of the responsible parties.)
2. Documentation of your costs and damages from the spill.
3. A complete claims package.
The above should be submitted to the National Pollution Funds Center, the Coast Guard office responsible for evaluating and approving OPA claims.
However, individuals and businesses may have legal options in addition to submitting a claim to the NPFC. If you've suffered an injury or economic loss as a result of the Gulf Oil Spill, it is wise to consult an attorney before you take any action so that you can best protect your legal rights and preserve all options which may be available to you under the law.
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Gulf Oil Spill Articles
- The Potential Plaintiffs of the Gulf Oil Spill Lawsuits
- The Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund
- The Legal Differences Between the Exxon Valdez and the BP Oil Spills
- How Much Will BP Have to Pay? Damage Caps for Big Oil
- Environmental Laws and Oil Spills
- What is the Oil Pollution Act of 1990?
- What legal remedies are available to individuals and businesses affected by the Gulf Oil Spill?
- Is compensation available to tourism businesses and workers for lost income or profits as a result of the Gulf oil spill?
- I own or lease property damaged by an oil spill. Am I entitled to compensation for the damages?
- My boat was damaged by the Gulf Oil Spill. Am I entitled to damages?
- What is the Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund (OSLTF)?
- Does the law limit the amount of money an oil company is liable for after an oil spill?
- If an oil company negligently caused an oil spill, then does the $75 million liability cap apply?
- If I submit a federal claim for Gulf oil spill damages, does that mean I can't join a private or class action lawsuit?