My boat was damaged by the Gulf Oil Spill. Am I entitled to damages?
If you own or lease a boat that was damaged by the Gulf oil spill, you may have a claim for that damage under the Oil Pollution Act. For example, under the OPA, eligible claimants may submit a claim for the cost of removing oil stains from their boat, including its upholstery, so as to restore the boat to the condition it was in before the oil spill.
You must submit a written claim, signed by you, which establishes the following:
- Your boat damage was caused by the spill and that the amount you are claiming is appropriate;
- You owned or leased the boat at the time of the spill;
- The boat was injured or destroyed as the result of the spill;
- The value of the boat both before and after the spill;
- The cost to repair or replace the boat; and
- Documentation that you’ve presented your claim to the responsible party of the spill (BP America and possible others)
You must request a specific dollar amount for your damages – you can not leave it open-ended. In order for the claim to be eligible, it must be submitted within three years of the date the damage was reasonably discoverable.
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Gulf Oil Spill Articles
- The Potential Plaintiffs of the Gulf Oil Spill Lawsuits
- The Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund
- The Legal Differences Between the Exxon Valdez and the BP Oil Spills
- How Much Will BP Have to Pay? Damage Caps for Big Oil
- Environmental Laws and Oil Spills
- What is the Oil Pollution Act of 1990?
- What legal remedies are available to individuals and businesses affected by the Gulf Oil Spill?
- Is compensation available to tourism businesses and workers for lost income or profits as a result of the Gulf oil spill?
- I own or lease property damaged by an oil spill. Am I entitled to compensation for the damages?
- What is needed to file a claim for damages resulting from the Gulf Oil Spill with the National Pollution Funds Center?
- What is the Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund (OSLTF)?
- Does the law limit the amount of money an oil company is liable for after an oil spill?
- If an oil company negligently caused an oil spill, then does the $75 million liability cap apply?
- If I submit a federal claim for Gulf oil spill damages, does that mean I can't join a private or class action lawsuit?