If I submit a federal claim for Gulf oil spill damages, does that mean I can't join a private or class action lawsuit?

If you've suffered property damage, loss of income, or other injuries as a result of the Gulf oil spill, you may have a claim for compensation.  You can submit a claim for damages or lost income under the Oil Pollution Act to receive compensation from the Oil Liability Trust Fund.  Whether or not it would impact your eligibility to file or join a lawsuit would have to be evaluated by an attorney.  However, before you submit a claim to anyone, it is recommended that you contact an oil spill attorney to determine which options are best for your situation. 

The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.

Additional Gulf Oil Spill Articles

Search LawInfo's Gulf Oil Spill Resources