I own or lease property damaged by an oil spill. Am I entitled to compensation for the damages?
If you own or lease property that was damaged by an oil spill, you may be able to receive compensation under the Oil Pollution Act (OPA).
You may be entitled to a real property damage claim for economic losses resulting from destruction of the land or buildings you own or lease. In addition, if your property has declined in value because of the spill, you may be able to make a claim for that loss of property value. You may have a claim for the cost of restoring your property to its pre-spill condition. You may also have a property damage claim for any decline in value of the property because of the spill. In that case, you must sell the property at the declined value and your claim would be submitted for the difference between its assessed value before the spill and the lower price you received for it after the spill.
In addition, you may also be entitled to personal property damage claim for economic losses resulting from damages to other types property you own or lease besides real property such as the cost of cleaning or replacing equipment or other personal property that was damaged from the spill.
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Gulf Oil Spill Articles
- The Potential Plaintiffs of the Gulf Oil Spill Lawsuits
- The Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund
- The Legal Differences Between the Exxon Valdez and the BP Oil Spills
- How Much Will BP Have to Pay? Damage Caps for Big Oil
- Environmental Laws and Oil Spills
- What is the Oil Pollution Act of 1990?
- What legal remedies are available to individuals and businesses affected by the Gulf Oil Spill?
- Is compensation available to tourism businesses and workers for lost income or profits as a result of the Gulf oil spill?
- My boat was damaged by the Gulf Oil Spill. Am I entitled to damages?
- What is needed to file a claim for damages resulting from the Gulf Oil Spill with the National Pollution Funds Center?
- What is the Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund (OSLTF)?
- Does the law limit the amount of money an oil company is liable for after an oil spill?
- If an oil company negligently caused an oil spill, then does the $75 million liability cap apply?
- If I submit a federal claim for Gulf oil spill damages, does that mean I can't join a private or class action lawsuit?