The Potential Plaintiffs of the Gulf Oil Spill Lawsuits
- The Family Members of the People Who Died in the Explosion. The Death on the High Seas Act may entitle family members of those who lost their lives in the accident to recover damages.
- Anyone Injured in the Explosion. Maritime law allows people who were injured in the course of maritime employment to recover damages for their injuries.
- Commercial Fishermen. Commercial fishermen may sue for lost income created by the unsafe conditions and the effect of the spill on the fish and shellfish of their region.
- Charter Boat Captains and Resorts. These groups may be able to sue for lost income because tourists will not be spending their money to visit places effected by the oil spill.
- Individual Property Owners. Property owners may sue for damage to their property, a decline in property value and loss of rental income.
- State and Local Governments. State and local governments may be able to sue BP for financial damages incurred by the accident. Those damages may include things such as lost recreational boat fees and the costs of environmental cleanup efforts.
Speak with a Gulf Oil Spill Attorney
Injuries cost money, including time away from work, medical bills and other complications. You should have an attorney help you with your claim. Not sure if you have a good injury case? Speak to a local gulf oil spill attorney about the merits of your case. This one step can help you protect your rights and take the proper next steps.
Additional Gulf Oil Spill Articles
- What is the Oil Pollution Act of 1990?
- The Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund
- What legal remedies are available to individuals and businesses affected by the Gulf Oil Spill?
- The Legal Differences Between the Exxon Valdez and the BP Oil Spills
- Is compensation available to tourism businesses and workers for lost income or profits as a result of the Gulf oil spill?
- How Much Will BP Have to Pay? Damage Caps for Big Oil
- I own or lease property damaged by an oil spill. Am I entitled to compensation for the damages?
- My boat was damaged by the Gulf Oil Spill. Am I entitled to damages?
- Environmental Laws and Oil Spills
- What is needed to file a claim for damages resulting from the Gulf Oil Spill with the National Pollution Funds Center?
- What is the Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund (OSLTF)?
- Does the law limit the amount of money an oil company is liable for after an oil spill?
- If an oil company negligently caused an oil spill, then does the $75 million liability cap apply?
- If I submit a federal claim for Gulf oil spill damages, does that mean I can't join a private or class action lawsuit?