What Gives A State Court The Power To Treat Military Retired Pay As Marital Property To Be Divided In A Divorce?

In 1982 Congress passed a law, the Uniformed Services Former Spouses` Protection Act, that permits state courts to treat military retired pay as property. The law was Public Law 97­252, and the portion dealing with the division is codified at: Title 10 United States Code, Section 1408.

The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.

Additional Military Divorce Articles

Search LawInfo's Military Divorce Resources

Related Topics In This Section