Is There A Time Limit In Which I Need To File A Lawsuit For Medical Malpractice?
The law requires that you file a lawsuit within a specified period of time depending on the nature of the claim and the entity that caused your injury. This is referred to as the statute of limitations. Failure to file suit within this time frame prevents you from filing suit at all. In some instances, there are various exceptions to the statutes of limitation that may extend or limit the limitation periods. There may be special claims presentation requirements. For example, in Utah, governmental agencies must receive notice within one year of the time the claim arises. For these reasons, it is important to consult an attorney as early as possible to be sure you don`t miss a crucial deadline.
Medical malpractice claims generally must be brought within two years from the date when the injury was or should have been discovered, with a maximum limit of four years after the alleged wrongful act. Foreign object actions may be brought within one year of the date when the object was or should have been discovered. According to the statute, this limitation period is not extended for minors or persons who are legally disabled, however, the Utah courts have held this to be unconstitutional as it applies to minors.
Speak to an Experienced Medical Malpractice Attorney Today
This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified medical malpractice lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact a local medical malpractice attorney to discuss your specific legal situation.
Additional Medical Malpractice Articles
- What Happens If I Am Injured In The Course Of Medical Treatment?
- How Do I Know If My Injury Constitutes Medical Malpractice?
- Does Signing A Consent Form Waive My Rights To File A Lawsuit For Medical Malpractice?
- Who Can Be Held Accountable For The Medical Malpractice?
- What Damages Can Be Recovered For Medical Malpractice?
- How Can I Determine How Much My Claim Is Worth?
- How Much Can I Expect An Attorney To Charge To Handle A Medical Malpractice Case?