Is There A Time Limit In Which I Need To File A Lawsuit For Medical Malpractice?
The law requires that you file a lawsuit within a specified period of time depending on the nature of the claim and the entity that caused your injury. This is referred to as the statute of limitations. Failure to file suit within this time frame prevents you from filing suit at all. In some instances, there are various exceptions to the statutes of limitation that may extend or limit the limitation periods. There may be special claims presentation requirements. For these reasons, it is important to consult an attorney as early as possible to be sure you don`t miss a crucial deadline.
Notwithstanding the above, a medical malpractice action generally must be commenced within one year after the claimant discovers the injury. No action may be brought more than three years after the date of the alleged malpractice, unless the action involves a foreign object. If, at the time the cause of action accrues, the claimant is under the age of eighteen years or is of unsound mind, the claimant may bring an action within one year following the removal of the disability.
Speak to an Experienced Medical Malpractice Attorney Today
This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified medical malpractice lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact a local medical malpractice attorney to discuss your specific legal situation.
Additional Medical Malpractice Articles
- What Happens If I Am Injured In The Course Of Medical Treatment?
- How Do I Know If My Injury Constitutes Medical Malpractice?
- Who Can Be Held Accountable For The Medical Malpractice?
- Does Signing A Consent Form Waive My Rights To File A Lawsuit For Medical Malpractice?
- How Much Can I Expect An Attorney To Charge To Handle A Medical Malpractice Case?
- What Damages Can Be Recovered For Medical Malpractice?
- How Can I Determine How Much My Claim Is Worth?