Who Can Be Held Accountable For The Medical Malpractice?
Generally, a medical malpractice claim can be brought against a licensed health care provider. This can include a person, corporation, facility or institution licensed by the state to provide health care or professional services, or an officer, employee, or agent thereof acting in the course and scope of his employment. A claim can be brought against physicians, dentists, nurses, therapists, technicians, hospitals, and pharmacists, among others. A physician commits medical malpractice if he fails to act in the same manner a reasonably prudent physician in the same field of medicine would act under the same circumstances. Nurses, therapists and other health care providers, and the hospitals or clinics they work for, can be held responsible for their failure to meet accepted standards of care in their particular field. In general, in North Carolina a hospital is not held liable for the negligent acts of nonemployed physicians.
There may be more than one cause of an injury. When the negligent conduct of two or more parties contributes as causes of an injury, each party may be liable for the entire judgment, regardless of that party`s percentage of fault.
Speak to an Experienced Medical Malpractice Attorney Today
This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified medical malpractice lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact a local medical malpractice attorney to discuss your specific legal situation.
Additional Medical Malpractice Articles
- What Happens If I Am Injured In The Course Of Medical Treatment?
- How Do I Know If My Injury Constitutes Medical Malpractice?
- Is There A Time Limit In Which I Need To File A Lawsuit For Medical Malpractice?
- Does Signing A Consent Form Waive My Rights To File A Lawsuit For Medical Malpractice?
- How Much Can I Expect An Attorney To Charge To Handle A Medical Malpractice Case?
- What Damages Can Be Recovered For Medical Malpractice?
- How Can I Determine How Much My Claim Is Worth?