Who Can Be Held Accountable For The Medical Malpractice?
Generally, a medical malpractice claim can be brought against a licensed health care provider. This can include a person, corporation or institution licensed by the state to provide healthcare, medical services, nursing services or other health care services. A claim can be brought against physicians, dentists, nurses, hospitals, and pharmacists, among others. The courts of Arizona have recognized the principle of a hospital being held responsible for the acts of physicians who provide medical care in its facility. Therefore, a hospital may be liable for the negligence of an independent physician. When a person renders emergency care to an injured person to avoid serious harm or death, that person is not liable for damages as a result of their acts or omissions. Health care providers are immune from liability with respect to damages incurred in connection with services provided at nonprofit clinics where the physician receives no compensation or the clinic. The exception to this is when the provider is grossly negligent. In all actions involving the fault of more than one party, the court will enter a judgment against each party in accordance with that party`s percentage of fault.
The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.
Additional Medical Malpractice Articles
- Anesthesia Negligence
- Asthma/Respiratory Illness
- Birth Defects Or Injuries
- Nuclear Medicine (Cat Scans And Mris)
- Nursing Home Injuries And Negligence
- Obtaining Informed Consent
- Pharmacist Malpractice
- Psychiatric Or Psychological Malpractice
- What Happens If I Am Injured In The Course Of Medical Treatment?
- How Do I Know If My Injury Constitutes Medical Malpractice?
- Is There A Time Limit In Which I Need To File A Lawsuit For Medical Malpractice?
- How Much Can I Expect An Attorney To Charge To Handle A Medical Malpractice Case?
- What Damages Can Be Recovered For Medical Malpractice?
- Does Signing A Consent Form Waive My Rights To File A Lawsuit For Medical Malpractice?